No Organ Harvesting in Akamkpa, Cross River Community, Police

By Anietie Akpan

The Cross River State Police Command has denied any case of organ harvesting in Isong Nyang, Akamkpa Local Government Area (LGA) of the state.

The Command in a press release dated February 19, by the Police Public Relations Officer, Cross River State Police Command, ASP Eitokpah Sunday, for the Commissioner of Police, said the State Police Command “categorically states that there is no confirmed or reported case of organ harvesting in Isong Nyang or any part of Akamkpa LGA. The claim being circulated online is therefore misleading and unfounded”.

Preliminary investigations according to the Police, revealed that on 13th February 2026, the Command received a report regarding the discovery of eightcorpses in an abandoned metal shed near a scrap site at Isong Nyang Junction.

“Upon visitation to the scene, one suspect, Sunday Reuben Ben (male, 56 years), was apprehended”, Police said adding that, “during interrogation, the suspect confessed that he was formerly a staff member and locally trained mortician with Enghaut Company in Akamkpa, where he managed the company’s morgue and handled deceased staff members.

“He further disclosed that he also received bodies of staff relatives without formal authorization from the company’s management and preserved them in the morgue”.

According to the suspect, Police said the company folded up last year and was subsequently sold to another firm. Corpses belonging to verified staff members were compensated for and released to their families for burial.

However, eight corpses — six males and two females — belonging to relatives of staff not officially documented by the company were left in his custody, Police said.

The suspect further told the Police that stated that he was instructed to evacuate the remaining corpses. Consequently, he relocated them to a metal shed along Isong Nyang community near Raboni Church, Akamkpa.

“On 12th February 2026, the metal shed was reportedly vandalized by unknown individuals, exposing the corpses and leading to widespread concern and misinformation on social media.

“So far, five of the corpses have been identified by their relatives and are undergoing evacuation for burial. Efforts are ongoing to evacuate the remaining bodies. Investigation is still in progress”, Police stated.

Meanwhile the Command has urged members of the public to remain calm and desist from spreading unverified information capable of causing unnecessary panic and tension within the State.

The Command said it remains committed to safeguarding lives and property across Cross River State. Citizens are encouraged to report credible information through the following official channels:

Control Room (Calabar): 0705 335 5415. Complaint Response Unit (CRU): 08137083052, 08134096900.

 

Share this: